Calvary Church

Calvary Church

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Immeasurably More than you can Imagine or Ask For (3)



“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20, 21 (NIV)


A LOOK AHEAD – GOD’S GLORY IN US
Paul writes something quite interesting in verse 21. In his doxology, he writes “to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus”. Why would he put the church first? The whole idea that God gets glory in the church is really quite amazing in the first place. But what’s even more interesting to me is the fact that Paul puts the church before Jesus Christ in this phrase. Paul seems to be indicating that since the church is the body of Jesus Christ, it is so inextricably linked to Christ that it is really impossible to separate the church from its head, Jesus Christ.

We’ve already seen Paul use the phrase “in Jesus”, “in Christ” “in him” or its equivalent throughout his letter. I know you are probably tired of hearing this, but All the spiritual blessings that we have, all of God’s power working in our lives is only possible because of what Jesus has done for us. So it’s pretty easy to see how God gets glory through his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. But how does God get glory through the church? Paul has already given us a hint in the preceding verse:
[I pray] that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:19 (NIV)

As we become more mature in our faith and as we are filled more and more with the fullness of God, then God receives glory. But as we’ve seen, and as Paul points out again in this passage, we’re not capable of being filled with God’s fullness on our own. Certainly that is something that is immeasurably more that we could ever ask for or imagine. That’s why we need His power at work in our lives.

So in the next three chapters, Paul is going to give us some practical advice about how we, as the church, can together live our lives in such a manner that they will bring glory to God. The first verse of chapter 4 introduces that whole section:
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
Ephesians 4:1 (NIV)

In the first three chapters, Paul has described the calling we have received. And in the next three chapters, he gives us some practical guidance for how we can live lives that are worthy of that calling. Frankly, what he’ll describe to us is often simple, but it’s never easy. It’s only possible for us to live in that manner if the power of God continues to work in our lives.
As a young Christian I struggled with the whole idea of God's power working in me. But as I began to trust God, his word, the fullness and power came to live in me. I began to believe that I could live a life worthy of the calling that God had called me to. This power and calling is for everyone. Only God can lead you to this place that he had led me.

I mentioned to you at the beginning of this message that this has always been one of my favorite passages. But after looking at it again in a whole new light, I can now tell you that this is no longer one of my favorite passages in God’s Word. It’s not one of my favorites. It is without a doubt, my very favorite passage. The two powerful verses remind me of how God has already done immeasurably more than I could ever ask or imagine in my life. And they are also an encouragement for me to live my life in a way that will give Him glory as that power continues to work in my life. How about you? You are loved...


No comments:

Post a Comment