Calvary Church

Calvary Church

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT SUFFERING (3)



God can use Me Regardless of My Circumstances
I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory. Ephesians 3:13 (NIV)

Paul had ministered for longer in Ephesus than anywhere else, so it is quite likely that many of his readers had either had earlier personal encounters with him or had at least heard about Paul from those who had. So when they heard that Paul was now in prison, they had to be discouraged for a couple of reasons.
First, they had a hard time seeing how God was going to use Paul while he was locked up in prison. And secondly, they had to be worried what might happen to them as a result of their faith.

But Paul recognized that God could still use Him regardless of whatever circumstances he might be facing.  Philippians 1:12-14 (NIV) “Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.”

In a sense it’s kind of ironic that those who reading Paul’s letter to the church at Ephesus were experiencing first hand God’s work in the life of Paul. The very letter that they were reading was probably one of the greatest ways that God ever used Paul. While he was in that Roman prison, Paul also wrote Colossians, Philippians and Philemon. I don’t think even Paul could appreciate the extent to which God was working through him in that Roman jail, but he certainly had the spiritual eyes to recognize that God was capable of using him regardless of his circumstances.

Unfortunately, far too many of God’s children use their circumstances as an excuse for not serving God. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard people say something like, “Well, I really can’t do that now, but when my circumstances change, then come see me again.”
• When I’m not so busy at work…
• When I have more money…
• When I have more time…
• When I know the Bible better…
• When I get over this loss…
• When I get feeling better…
• After my kids get older…
These are legitimate reasons for not being involved in a specific ministry. But at the same time, I’m convinced that God can use every one of His children regardless of their circumstances because God never limits the power He gives you in those circumstances.

I’m thankful for a lot of people in our church that serve God in spite of their circumstances. At the risk of embarrassing a few of you or perhaps offending some that I’ll forget to mention, I’d like to point out just a few who are ministering in spite of difficult circumstances;
•People On our worship team
• Hospitality team
• Greeter team
• Children’s ministry
• Nursery team, like Joni Torie who has M.S. but is still faithful and helps out nursery because she loves kids and loves God.
·  Youth team were Kelsey & Mike are faithful even though they have little Marea by there side.
All I can give is heartfelt thanks. Without you, we wouldn’t even have a church. Just don’t stop serving God because of circumstances. I want to encourage you to look beyond those circumstances and just trust that God will provide you with everything you need to serve Him in whatever way He has called you to serve.
You are loved...

No comments:

Post a Comment