Calvary Church

Calvary Church

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Just Listen



'Be...[a ready listener].' James 1:19 AMP

One of the many things I've had to learn in life is that talking instead of listening will get you into trouble. I love the analogy of 'Two geese preparing to fly south when a frog asked if he could go along. They questioned how he could do it. 'Easy,' he said. 'You guys hold a stick between your beaks and I'll hang on with my mouth.' Off they went as people looked up, admiring their teamwork. The trio was making great progress until somebody below shouted, 'Great idea! Whose was it?' That's when the frog opened his mouth and yelled, 'Miiiiiiiine!'

Every time you open your mouth there are consequences! So learn to listen. A great thought is this, 'The talkative listen to no one, for they are ever speaking. And the first evil that attends those who know not how to be silent is that they hear nothing.' Listening without having to air your knowledge or interject your opinion is a quality of character that proves you're mature.

Television host Larry King once said, 'I remind myself every morning: nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening.' Jesus was a great listener, and as a result He attracted people like a magnet. Doubtless there were times He was tired and didn't feel like it - but He listened anyway. When the disciples fussed among themselves, and the Pharisees grumbled and caused trouble, Jesus focused on the important things. He listened, He spoke, and people followed. Listening is often more effective than talking. In fact, there's a point in every conversation where you need to say less and listen more. In those moments you not only hear what others are saying, but what God is saying to you!

You are Loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment