Calvary Church

Calvary Church

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Power of Forgiveness (2)

    
'...Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another...' Colossians 3:13 NIV
'...Forgiving each other, just as...God forgave you.' Ephesians 4:32 NIV


I was reminded of the book Restoring Your Spiritual Passion I had read several years ago will sitting here staring at the computer this morning. Yes I have those days when writing seems hard...I ask God everyday what He wants me to share with you, but some days are harder that others.
 
All of us at some point have bad days and weeks in our relationships. But what do we do when we find ourselves drained and empty and out of balance in our relationships. We may hold some kind of unforgiveness towards someone, and it drains us spiritually. Our thought yesterday and today is on the power of forgiveness. How does forgiveness restore us not only with people but with God as well?  
 
Gordon MacDonald in his book Restoring Your Spiritual Passion writes: 'One memory that burns deep within is that of a plane flight on which I was headed toward a meeting that would determine a major decision in my ministry. I knew I was in desperate need of a spiritual passion that would provide wisdom and submission to God's purposes. But the passion was missing because I was steeped in resentment toward a colleague. For days I had tried everything to rid myself of vindictive thoughts toward that person. But try as I might, I would even wake in the night thinking of ways to subtly get back at him. I wanted to embarrass him for what he had done, to damage his credibility before his peers. My resentment was beginning to dominate me, and on that plane trip I came to a realization of how bad things really were... As the plane entered the landing pattern, I found myself crying silently to God for the power both to forgive and to experience liberation from my poisoned spirit. Suddenly it was as if an invisible knife cut a hole in my chest and I literally felt a thick substance oozing from within. Moments later I felt as if I'd been flushed out. I'd lost negative spiritual weight, the kind I needed to lose. I was free. I fairly bounced off that plane and soon entered a meeting that did in fact change the entire direction of my life.'
 
This is what Forgiveness does in your spiritual life: (1) Frees you from the grip of a negative force. (2) Positions you where God can bless you. (3) Teaches little people how to be big people.
You are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment