Calvary Church

Calvary Church

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

God has Given Us Power to Overcome Our Weaknesses


“…by the working of his power…”

We make so many excuses for not serving God:
• I’m too old
• I’m too young
• I’m too tired
• I’m not smart enough
• I don’t know enough
• I don’t have enough money
• I don’t have enough time
• I don’t have the abilities I need

What you are basically telling God is I just want to do my own thing. I know God you have all this for me but God to bad.
Paul certainly had all kinds of excuses he could have used when God called him to preach the gospel to the Gentiles:
• I’m a Jew, what do I know about the Gentiles?
• I don’t know enough about Jesus – why don’t you use one of the disciples?
• I’m too old – send someone younger.
• No one will listen to me
• I have this thorn in the flesh

But Paul made it really clear that in spite of all his weaknesses God had equipped him with God’s power in order to carry out God’s plan for his life. The Holy Spirit is inside you right now to do great things. Paul’s weaknesses became a platform for God to demonstrate His strength. It was the Holy Spirit inside Paul that God used to empower him in his gifts. Paul even prayed to remove the obstacle, whatever it was:

“But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

Isn’t it amazing how often God calls His people to do something that they are seemingly unequipped to accomplish? He picked a murderer with a speech impediment to lead His people out of Egypt. He picked a young, small boy who wasn’t even big enough to wear armor to slay a giant and to later become the greatest king of Israel. He picked a young, unmarried teenager to become the mother of His Son. And He entrusted the entire future of the gospel to a group of uneducated, common fisherman and tax collectors.

God can even take someone with very little religious background to be the pastor of this church. I’m still amazed at that! The only reason that I can share this message is because God has equipped me. There is certainly nothing in my own life that makes me worthy to do what I’m doing right now.

God actually delights in equipping us with His power in those areas of our greatest weakness because then He is the one who gets the glory. Rather than viewing our weaknesses as something that can keep us from serving God. We need to look at them as opportunities for God to pour His power into our lives. Ask Him for more, He won't let you down. You are loved!


No comments:

Post a Comment